Translate

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Chris Borland Takes Steps to Tear the 49ers Apart a Little More


    "I just honestly want to do what's best for my health. From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk."

     A big defensive football player, straight out of college after 1 year of impressive football, a season of 14 games with 8 starts, a sack, 2 interceptions picked off of Eli Manning, and 107 tackles, don't forget the 16 tackle game against Seattle and the 15 tackle game against Saint Louis, Borland was going to be the key replacement of Patrick Willis this upcoming season and a pivotal building block on the regrouping 49ers defense.

    Borland had thought the situation over very well and for a long time, consulting family and friends along the way. "I feel largely the same, as sharp as I've ever been. For me, it's wanting to be proactive," Borland told Outside the Lines. "I'm concerned that if you wait 'til you have symptoms, it's too late. There are a lot of unknowns. I can't claim that X will happen. I just want to live a long, healthy life, and I don't want to have any neurological diseases or die younger than I would otherwise."

    This brings back memories of the Junior Seau story, where the young man committed suicide in 2012, and it was found that he had serious head trauma concerns that either he or his doctor had hidden. With players like Jason Worilds and Jake Locker retiring early and unexpectedly too, one has to wonder what's hitting the league besides old news.


    Borland had started thinking of a retirement plan early into last season, in fact, preseason week 4, he wrote his parents to tell them he thought his NFL career would be brief. "I just thought to myself, 'What am I doing? Is this how I'm going to live my adult life, banging my head, especially with what I've learned and know about the dangers?'"

    49ers General Manager Trent Baalke wished Borland the best from the 49ers team website. "While unexpected, we certainly respect Chris’ decision," Baalke explained. "From speaking with Chris, it was evident that he had put a great deal of thought into this decision. He was a consummate professional from day one and a very well respected member of our team and community. Chris is a determined young man that overcame long odds in his journey to the NFL and we are confident he will use the same approach to become very successful in his future endeavors. We will always consider him a 49er and wish him all the best."

    Players and fans alike are praising Borland for his decision, and wishing him and Patrick Willis the best in future days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment